Saturday 4 January 2014

Product Review: Keya Seth's Aroma Therapy Black Shine Pack

Its been a longtime since I added something to my blog........... what with a job, 2 kids under 6yrs and a husband who isn't any better than the babies.... (bacche to bacche....... bap re bap!! ;D.....

When you hit a certain age and you begin to notice some serious greying the question you face is "To colour or not to colour".

I had been applying henna to my hair off and on since I was in school. I started applying it more regularly after 30 when I began to notice greys. Many complain about dryness due to regular use of Henna, though I did not have any of those issues. However, as the number of greys increased, Henna wasn't really doing it for me anymore (who wants orange hair!).

But I am sooooo scared of chemical colours!!!!!!! :O


Well for sometime I used Mascara (really!!) to camouflage the whites around my temples, along with my regular henna treatments. 


So when a relative suggested Keyaseth's Aroma therapy Black Shine Pack, I thought about it. Keya seth claims her products are herbal and natural.So I guessed it was worth a try.
So when my mother went to Kolkata in March I asked her to get me a pack. 

Lets look at some pictures:


100 g pack along with the solution
Packaging: Black and gold Jar contains the powder (black) and the small squeezy bottle has the solution (colourless liquid). Not too attractive..

Price: INR 160/- for 100g pack along with solution

What does the product claim?

Enriched with tea leaves, fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum), amla (Phyllanthus emblica), hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa sinensis), arnica (Arnica montana) and lodh (Symplocus racemosa) this pack arrests pre-mature greying and makes grey hair black naturally. It also provides complete hair care and ensures thick, black, soft, lively and brilliant hair.


 So Lets look at some detail at the ingredients and what do they do for hair?:

Key Ingredients:
  1. Tea Leaves: Contains tannin which darkens hair and brings out its natural highlights
  2. Methi (fenugreek) Methi seeds are known to be effective against hair fall, dandruff and help to reverse baldness and hair thinning. They contain protein and nicotinic which are a great source for hair growth. It contains large amounts of lecithin which makes our hair healthy and strong and hydrates the hair. It helps to reduce the dryness of the hair, cures dandruff, conditions the hair, keeps the scalp cool and treats a variety of scalp issues. It is highly effective against hair fall and provides strength from the roots.:
  3. Amla/Phyllanthus emblica: Regular use of amla strengthens the hair follicles, stimulates hair growth, keeps dandruff away, straightens your hair, prevents split ends and nourishes your hair. It also prevents premature graying of hair and stops hair loss.
  4. Hibiscus: Encourages hair growth by stimulating circulation, discourages split ends, prevents pre-mature greying of the hair strands, thickens hair, a mild cleanser that helps with toxin elimination, a great hair color for natural hair  especially in combination with henna.
  5. Lodh: has astringent properties and is said to reduce hairfall
  6. Clary sage: is known to restore hormonal imbalances, calm the mind and prevent hairloss.
  7. Padmakh: Constant usage relieves headache & hair loss
  8. Arnica is often used in hair care products because of its anti-inflammatory properties which can help to control dandruff and promote hair growth.  Arnica extract also acts as an antibiotic which can help treat an infection on the scalp.
  9. Nagarmotha:  It is used in treating hair and scalp disorders. It dilates the small capillary and acts on the sebaceous glands at the hair root and stimulates them.
  10. Manjishtha: Is said to be good for skin disorders like eczema, acne etc. It is also used as a dye.
  11. Mulathi/licorice root: Mainly medicinal use, but is said to be beneficial for hair.
  12. Anantamul/Sarsaparilla: is a great way to get rid of inflammation, and also helps with dry flaking skin, psoriasis, rashes, and other skin irritations. Sarsaparilla also contains hormones that stimulate hair growth so it might help you with hair loss
  13. Henna:we all know what henna does!
  14. Nagkesar:antimicrobial, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, it can be used in the treatment of numerous ailments like fever, itching, nausea, leprosy, skin disorders,also a complexion enhancer (scalp health, I guess)
  15. Priyangu:promotes hair growth.
Method of Use:
Use the pack at least once every week. Mix one spoonful of the pack powder and five drops of the solution, which you find inside. According to the length of your hair prepare the pack in 1: 5 ratio. Apply it to your scalp and hair. Keep it for 1 hour. Rinse thoroughly. 

My Experience:
  1. I have used this product for 5 months.
  2. I have not used it through the entire length of my hair but mostly as root touch-ups.
  3. 1st use gave me jet black colour.... not what I wanted. It made my hair look quite obviously black mehendi type dyed (forgot to click a pic)
  4. Subsequently, as the months have rolled by, I have noticed that it does not cover my greys at all. Maybe the product had oxidised.
  5. I has this major bout of hairloss which lasted for nearly 3 months which I managed to fix with multivitamin intake and application of pure aloe vera gel directly onto my scalp. I wonder if it was caused by this product.....
Without flash (left parting)
with flash (right parting)
In the second photo, you can see how obviously my hair has thinned out, and you can see the greys at my hairline.

Pros:
  1. Very affordable at INR 160/-
  2. Has a bunch of beneficial ingredients
Cons: 
  1. List of ingredients does not indicate percentages or proportion, also fails to mention whether they are part of the powder or the solution. Plus, it only says 'key ingredients'............. hmmmm are there other non-key ingredients too that are not listed on the pack?
  2. Artificial colouring effect
  3. Seems to have triggered massive hairfall.
  4. Not easily available outside West Bengal. 
  5. Unattractive packaging (but shouldn't matter if the product is brilliant).
Will I buy this product again? 

NO!!

Will I recommend it?

At your own risk!


If anyone has any suggestions and help for my fast greying hair (my parents and both sets of grandparents greyed early too so I don't think any magic treatment will work)........ I'm all ears................in this case all eyes!! Write to me!

So long folks........... that's all for today!!



2 comments:

  1. Me too looking for a solution. Hair colour every 15 days is a task plus the chemical damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually decided to give up hair colour altogether and embrace my greys. I haven't coloured my hair in the last 5 months. I get both compliments and doubtful looks. But I'm not regretting this at all!!

    ReplyDelete